In addition to the material contained in the Handbook there are additional web/cd/dvd and paper resources to support the project. Most are accessible from the links below or on the MDP CD/DVD. (The MDP (Multidisciplinary Design Project) is a initiative funded by[ the Cambridge-MIT Institute to develop opensource material to support student projects. The IDP and the similar course 2.007 at MIT have been used as a test bed for a number of the resources. Students can obtain copies of a DVD, containing the main released resources, from the EIETL or operators. Material/resources that is available, to be used locally on a computer, using the DVD are marked [MDP] below.]
- IDP Parts Catalogue Details and data sheets on all available IDP components [MDP]
A lecture on project managment is give on the first day of a course (2pm) on the principles of project management with special reference to the IDP. In addition information is given on using the on-line management tools and bulletin boards.
- Project & Team Forums - Individual team discussion forums (information about accessing them are emailed to students at the start of a course) + Course forums with a 'Ask the Expert' section
Access is also given to a number of project management and planning tools, in particular GanttProject which is opensource, compatible with MSProject and available on the departmental teaching system [MDP].
- GanttProject - It is possible to install Ganttproject on your
local machine, however beware download size is typically 7-10 MB and
Java Runtime Environment is also required.
- Zip archive (Platform independent distribution with launchers for Linux/UNIX (.sh), MacOSX (.command),and Windows(.bat))
- Windows installer . (Windows installer that adds shortcuts to your Start menu and creates file associations.)
- MacOSX package. (Disk image file for MacOSX users.)
- Linux packages
- Example IDP GanttProject File
- Sample Gantt Chart (pdf)
- Introduction to the Design Process [MDP]
- Practical Guidelines for Mechanical Design and Manufacture [MDP]
- Introduction to IDP PCBs
- Plots of line-following and Prototyping boards which can be used as the basis for manual component layout drawings
- Introduction to soldering and electronic prototyping - VIDEO.
- ECAD files - The main IDP PCBs are designed using the ECAD suite
gEDA which is available on the teaching system [MDP]. The files and
information below can be used for design special PCBs [MDP]
- Prototyping board
- Line Following board
- Mini-tutorials/information on sensors available for IDP projects
Pro/Engineer is available on the DPO and EIETL computers and can be run from the MDP DVD provided the computer is connected to the internet. A set of predrawn IDP components is available from the MDP_Library section on all systems.
- General Introduction/Manuals [MDP]
- Useful CAD Models (Solid and Sheetmetal)
- Introduction to the use of the ProEngineer Sheet Metal module, with specific reference to IDP.
- Background information on Water Jet Technology