Accidents to University Motor Vehicles
- Guidance to drivers in the event of an accident.
- At the scene of the accident a member of staff involved as driver or passenger should volunteer no admission of blame, whatever the circumstances, so that the position of the University's insurance company will not be prejudiced.
- If anyone has been injured in the accident the Police must be called.
- It is important to obtain the names and addresses of any witnesses.
- The name of the University's insurers, Royal & Sun Alliance must be given to the driver or drivers of other vehicles involved and, if the police are called to the scene of the accident, any information sought by them must be provided to the best of any individual's knowledge.
- The relevant insurance certificate is that issued by Royal & Sun Alliance covering all University vehicles. The original certificates are held in University Faculties and Departments.
- The occurrence should be reported as soon as possible to the Head of your Division or to the Secretary of Department (Finance) and to the Finance Division. The Old Schools Trinity Lane Cambridge CB2 1TS. Telephone: 01223 339659 Fax: 01223 332251 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- An explanatory sketch should be made of the scene, indicating the names and layout of the road(s), position of vehicles and persons involved, the direction in which the vehicle was travelling, the registration marks of all vehicles, where known, and any road markings, road signs, traffic lights, street lights, and pedestrian crossings.
- Accidents occurring within a 30 mile (approx.) radius of Cambridge.
All vehicles in this category must be taken to or collected by P & R Coachworks, Gog Magog Garage, Babraham Road, Cambridge, telephone Cambridge 242956.
When the vehicle can be driven safely it should be delivered to P & R Coachworks, but if the damage to the vehicle is such that it cannot be driven safely the matter must be reported immediately to P & R Coachworks who will collect the vehicle.
The company will then deal directly with the insurers about the cost of repairs.
- Accidents occurring in the UK outside a 30 mile (approx.) radius of Cambridge.
In these circumstances, the person in charge of the vehicle should attempt to contact the nearest Royal & Sun Alliance Claims office for the name and address of an approved repairer (details of regional Royal & Sun Alliance offices may be obtained from the Ipswich office at 23 Museum Street Ipswich, IP1 1HN, telephone 01473 381098 or the National helpline 0181 7633020).
If this proves to be impossible, the vehicle must be repaired by the nearest garage able to undertake work.
In such a case the garage concerned must be told that before repairs can be undertaken an estimate of the cost of repairs must be produced and that estimate must be dealt with by the Finance Division who will obtain clearance from Royal & Sun Alliance for the work to be put in hand.
- Accidents occurring in a Foreign Country.
The documents obtained from Royal & Sun Alliance prior to departure will include a Green Card, a leaflet entitled 'Motoring Abroad' and a European Accident Statement which must be completed.
The document entitled 'Motoring Abroad' provides a list of Claims Settling Agents in various countries. Should an accident occur in a country where Royal & Sun Alliance do not have a Claims Settling Agent, immediate notification should be given to the Local Insurer's Bureau (names and addresses are given on the Green Card).
- Broken Windscreens (UK only).
Royal & Sun Alliance have a special arrangement for the repair of all windscreens, day or night, by reference to Autoglass Windshields, Unit 2, Elizabeth Way, Cambridge, telephone Cambridge 461890.
If the vehicle is outside the Cambridge area, details of the nearest repairer can be obtained by telephoning the Autoglass helpline on 0800 363636. A copy of the vehicle insurance certificate must be produced at the time of repair (a copy of the certificate is attached).
Autoglass will invoice Royal & Sun Alliance direct for the cost of repairs. Royal & Sun Alliance will meet the costs submitted by Autoglass directly to them.
- Emergency Overnight Accommodation (UK and Europe)
In the event of loss or damage (outside the Cambridge area) to a University vehicle resulting in the driver and occupants being unable to reach their destination the dame day, cover is now provided for emergency overnight accommodation.
Expenses are limited to two nights and not exceeding £50 for the driver or £250 for all occupants of the vehicle.
Individuals would need to pay the accommodation bills and include original receipts with the accident claim form.
- Temporary Replacement Vehicle (UK only)
In the event of damage to a University vehicle (limited to cars only) which has been taken to a Royal & Sun Alliance 'Keep Driving' authorised repairer, the repairer will provide a temporary replacement car for the duration of the repairs.
The authorised repairer for the Cambridge area is P & R Coachworks (01223 242956).
For accidents occurring outside the Cambridge area, drivers should telephone the Royal & Sun Alliance helpline (0181 7633020) to obtain details of the nearest repairer offering this facility.