All students following a three-year PhD course in Engineering are required to submit a First Year Report at the end of their 11th month of study. This is an important part of your first year and will determine if you will be registered for the PhD Degree and be allowed to continue your course.
You can start thinking about our FYR from the start of your course. Your supervisor will ask you to review the current literature in your area of research so you can start writing your literature survey in your first term.
Your report should be 10,000 – 15,000 words. Although this is not a strict word limit, it should not be necessary for your report to exceed 15,000 words.
Yours report should include the following:
- Literature Survey
- Clear statement of the Research Objectives
- Description of the methods that will be used
- Progress to date
- Programme for the research, including realistic estimates of timing and dates
There is no standard format for the report but the following guidelines should be followed:
- The report must be written in English
- Printed on A4 paper in portrait format
- Double-printed is acceptable
- One-and-a-half spaced type
- Minimum font size 11pt and 10pt for any footnotes. Easily readable fonts should be used, for example Arial, Times New Roman.