Department of Engineering

Student Handbook

Student Handbook

Listed below you will find links to various Department procedures and policies related to graduate students. Further information for internal users can also be found on the Department's Intranet pages.

Student Handbook

Useful Information

Conference Grants

Applications to Work Away/Intermit

If you plan to be away from Cambridge, apart from short holidays, you need permission from the University. Permission to Work Away or Intermit will not usually be approved until your First Year Assessment is completed unless you are Intermitting on Medical Grounds. Guidance on Applications to Work Away and Intermit from the Board of Gradate Studies.  Applications should be made via your CamSIS self-service page for further information:

Students applying to Work Away may be eligible for Fieldwork funds from the School of Technology, details of how to apply are on their web pages:

The University requires research students to be resident in Cambridge and actively pursuing their research throughout the year (including during the summer months when undergraduate students are not in residence), with short breaks for holidays. Students must submit a request to spend time away from Cambridge (e.g. fieldwork) or to intermit their studies.

Working while you study.

The rules regarding working while you study are available on the Cambridge Students web pages:

Graduate Prizes

Two Graduate Prizes are offered by the University for papers/reports written by Graduate Students in Engineering, the John Winbolt Prize and the Hamilton Prize.

Further Information

Problems, Complaints and Appeals

If you are in difficulty in relation to your course, you should discuss the problem in the first instance with your Supervisor or Advisor. There are also a number of other people who may be able to help you if there are difficulties in doing this, including the Head of your Research Group or Head of Division, the Secretary of the Degree Committee and the Deputy Head of Department (Graduate Studies). The Graduate Student Mediator can also offer confidential help and advice if you are in dispute with your supervisor. If your difficulties are not specifically related to your course, you should contact your College Tutor. If you wish to make a formal complaint, you should arrange a meeting with the Secretary of the Degree Committee. Further advice is available from Student Complaints

Student Handbook 2013/14

Student Handbook 2014/15

Student Handbook 2015/16

Student Handbook 2016/17