Listed below you will find links to various Department procedures and policies related to graduate students. Further information for internal users can also be found on the Department's Intranet pages.
- Department of Engineering Student Handbook 2017/18 - contains useful information about the Department, the First Year Report Procedure and the Second Year Review Process.
- Code of Practice for Research Students - sets out the University's guidelines for PhD and MPhil by research students.
- Code of Practice for Master's Students - sets out the University's guidelines for MRes and taught MPhil students.
- Changes in circumstances - information about applying for leave to work away, intermission, extension to submission deadline, withdrawal and reinstatement, change of course registration or mode of study, and more.
- Confirmation of study letters - you can request a verification letter online, which is digitally signed and accepted by many organisations internationally. Please check whether the organisation requesting a document will accept this before asking for a hard copy. If a hard copy is required, please order the digital copy to be sent to email@example.com, and we can print, sign and stamp it.
- Guidelines for New Supervisors of Engineering Undergraduates - there are opportunities for Research Students to supervise undergraduates in the Department of Engineering. You will be required to undertake training before supervising.
- Research Ethics - Department Policy
- Student Staff Joint Committee - a Graduate Member of this committee is elected annually in November.
- CUED Outreach - information for volunteers.
- Language Unit - provides language courses for all including English writing and speaking classes.
- Conference and Travel Grants - information regarding the grants and how to apply (Application form).
Applications to Work Away/Intermit
If you plan to be away from Cambridge, apart from short holidays, you need permission from the University. Permission to Work Away or Intermit will not usually be approved until your First Year Assessment is completed unless you are Intermitting on Medical Grounds. Guidance on Applications to Work Away and Intermit from the Board of Gradate Studies. Applications should be made via your CamSIS self-service page for further information: http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/graduate-study/your-s...
Students applying to Work Away may be eligible for Fieldwork funds from the School of Technology, details of how to apply are on their web pages: http://www.tech.cam.ac.uk/Graduate/FieldworkFunds
The University requires research students to be resident in Cambridge and actively pursuing their research throughout the year (including during the summer months when undergraduate students are not in residence), with short breaks for holidays. Students must submit a request to spend time away from Cambridge (e.g. fieldwork) or to intermit their studies.
Working while you study.
The rules regarding working while you study are available on the Cambridge Students web pages: https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/graduate-study/your-...
Two Graduate Prizes are offered by the University for papers/reports written by Graduate Students in Engineering, the John Winbolt Prize and the Hamilton Prize.
Problems, Complaints and Appeals
If you are in difficulty in relation to your course, you should discuss the problem in the first instance with your Supervisor or Advisor. There are also a number of other people who may be able to help you if there are difficulties in doing this, including the Head of your Research Group or Head of Division, the Secretary of the Degree Committee and the Deputy Head of Department (Graduate Studies). The Graduate Student Mediator can also offer confidential help and advice if you are in dispute with your supervisor. If your difficulties are not specifically related to your course, you should contact your College Tutor. If you wish to make a formal complaint, you should arrange a meeting with the Secretary of the Degree Committee. Further advice is available from Student Complaints