Academic Division: Manufacturing and Management
Research group: Strategy and Policy (Head of Group)
Telephone: +44 1223 3 38195
Mike Gregory was previously Head of the Manufacturing and Management Division of the University Engineering Department and of the Institute for Manufacturing (IfM). His work is closely linked with industry and government and he has published in the areas of manufacturing strategy, technology management, international manufacturing and manufacturing policy.
His current research interests are focussed primarily on international manufacturing, industrial strategy and technology and manufacturing policy.
Manufacturing, design and materials
Mike Gregory is actively engaged in this strategic theme - research involving industrial collaboration and work of this kind is central to the activities of the IfM. Engagement with industry is a key characteristic of the IfM which hosts many activities related to this theme.
Complex, resilient and intelligent systems
Understanding uncertainty, risk and resilience from global industrial systems perspective; developing methods to link strategic, operational and technical risks to financial implications by blending qualitative & quantitative approaches; developing & tailoring tools for key risk categories within the four sector of national importance such as aerospace, automotive, food and pharmaceuticals; Risk and Resilience profiles of future Pharma SCs; management of supply network disruptions; risks and resilience of industrial sustainability.
- Fellow of Churchill College, Cambridge
- Member of the Royal Academy of Engineering Council
- Chairman of the Manufacturing Group for the Aerospace Growth Partnership
- Chairman of the International Visiting Committee, Division of Engineering Management, National University of Singapore
- Member of Advisory Council for Munjal Global Manufacturing Institute, India
- Member of Board – São Paulo Business School of Fundação Getúlio Vargas-Economics, Universities in Brazil
- Non-executive Director of High Value Manufacturing Catapult Supervisory Board, Technology Strategy Board
- Director of IfM Education and Consultancy Services Ltd
- Member of Manufacturing Analytical Group, Department for Business Innovation and Skills
- Chair of UK Manufacturing Professors Forum
Mike Gregory retired as Head of the Manufacturing and Management Division of the University of Cambridge Engineering Department and of the Institute for Manufacturing (IfM) in September 2015.
Following an early career in industry he was the founder member of the team which established the IfM in 1998. Linking science, engineering, management and policy and integrating education, research and practice the IfM now has over 230 staff and research students and a further 100 undergraduate and Masters students.
Mike Gregory's work is closely linked with industry and government and he has published in the areas of manufacturing strategy, technology management, international manufacturing and manufacturing policy.
External activities have included membership of various government and institutional committees. He served as Executive Director of the Cambridge MIT Institute from 2005-2008 and was Springer Visiting Professor at UC Berkeley in 2008/9. He chairs the UK Manufacturing Professors Forum, co-chairs the Manufacturing Advisory Group of the UK Government's Department of Business Innovation and Skills (BIS), and is a member of the supervisory board of the High Value Manufacturing Catapult
He is a Fellow of Churchill College Cambridge and of the Royal Academy of Engineering where he is a trustee. He is currently serving as Acting Director of the University's Institute of Continuing Education (ICE).'