Academic Division: Energy, Fluid Mechanics and Turbomachinery
Research group: Energy
Telephone: +44 1223 3 32681
Turbulence; Turbulence Modelling; Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD); Combustion; Turbulent Combustion Modelling; MILD Combustion; Multiscale Analysis
Direct Numerical Simulation of MILD Combustion
Multiscale Analysis of Flame-Turbulence Interaction
Demonstrator for Hydraulic Labs Experiments (pipe flow, gas engine)
N. Anh Khoa Doan is a PhD Candidate in Engineering at the University of Cambridge, under the supervision of Prof. Swaminathan. He holds the Qualcomm European Research Studentship and is an Honorary Cambridge Trust Scholar. Anh Khoa's current research interest covers the simulation and modeling of turbulent reacting flows using HPC. His present work focuses on studying flame-turbulence interactions and performing numerical simulations for MILD combustion.
Anh Khoa holds a M.Sc. in Aeronautical Engineering from the Université Libre de Bruxelles, a Diplôme d'ingénieur from the ISAE-SUPAERO and a M.Res. from the Université de Toulouse III (Paul Sabatier). During his Master studies, his projects covered various topics such as the aero-structural optimization of wings (at Airbus Group Innovation), the development of symplectic method for Lagrangian systems (at ISAE-SUPAERO) and the study of discontinous Galerkin method for Burger's equation (at Université Libre de Bruxelles).
- N. A. K. Doan & N. Swaminathan. Analysis of Markers for Combustion Mode and Heat Release in MILD Combustion Using DNS Data. Combustion Science and Technology (under review)
- C. Ezenwajiaku, M. Talibi, N. A. K. Doan, N. Swaminathan & R. Balachandran. Study of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in hydrogen-enriched methane diffusion flames. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (under review).
- T. Nilsson, I. Langella, N. A. K. Doan, N. Swaminathan, R. Yu & X. S. Bai. Sub-grid Scale Variance of a Reactive Scalar and its Modelling in High Karlovitz Number Flames. Combustion Theory and Modelling (under review).
- N. A. K. Doan & N. Swaminathan. Autoignition and flame propagation in non-premixed MILD combustion. Combustion and Flame (under review).
- U. Ahmed, N. A. K. Doan, J. Lai, M. Klein, N. Chakraborty & N. Swaminathan. Multiscale analysis of head-on quenching premixed turbulent flames. Physics of Fluids, 30, 105102 (2018).
- N. A. K. Doan, N. Swaminathan, P. A. Davidson & M. Tanahashi. Scale locality of the energy cascade using real space quantities. Physical Review Fluids, 3, 084601 (2018).
- N. A. K. Doan & N. Swaminathan. Role of radicals on MILD combustion inception. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute (2018).
- Z. X. Chen, N. A. K. Doan, X. J. Lv, N. Swaminathan, G. Ceriello, G. Sorrentino & A. Cavaliere. A numerical study of a cyclonic combustor under MILD conditions using non-adiabatic tabulated chemistry. Energy & Fuels, 32, 10256-10265 (2018).
- Z. X. Chen, N. A. K. Doan, S. Ruan, I. Langella & N. Swaminathan. A priori investigation of subgrid correlation of mixture fraction and progress variable in partially premixed flames. Combustion Theory and Modelling, 22, 862-882 (2018).
- I. Langella, N. A. K. Doan, N. Swaminathan & S. B. Pope. Study of subgrid scale velocity models for reacting and nonreacting flows. Physical Review Fluids, 3, 054602 (2018).
- G. Ghiasi, N. A. K. Doan, N. Swaminathan, B. Yenerdag, Y. Minamoto & M. Tanahashi. Assessment of SGS closure for isochoric combustion of hydrogen-air mixture. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 43, 8105-8115 (2018).
- N. A. K. Doan, N. Swaminathan & Y. Minamoto. DNS of MILD Combustion with mixture fraction variations. Combustion and Flame, 189, 173-189 (2018).
- N. A. K. Doan, N. Swaminathan & N. Chakraborty. Multiscale analysis of turbulence-flame interaction in premixed flames. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 36, 1929-1935 (2017).
- Z. Chen, V. M. Reddy, S. Ruan, N. A. K. Doan, W. L. Robert & N. Swaminathan. Simulation of MILD combustion using Perfectly Stirred Reactor model. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 36, 4279-2486 (2017).
- Y. Minamoto, N. A. K. Doan & N. Swaminathan. MILD Combustion. Book chapter for the edited volume Turbulent Combustion Physics. Cambridge University Press (2018). (In preparation)