Academic Division: Energy, Fluid Mechanics and Turbomachinery
Research group: Energy
Telephone: +44 1223 3 32641
Reacting flows; two-phase flows.
Ignition and flame propagation in turbulent spray flows
Ignition modeling of aviation gas turbines
Transient phenomena in annular combustors
Jet ignition for gas engines
Demonstrator for Hydraulic Labs Experiments (Engineering Tripos IA)
Pedro M. de Oliveira is a PhD Candidate in Engineering at the University of Cambridge and a Brazilian Space Agency–CNPq Scholar, carrying out experimental research on turbulent combustion under the supervision of Professor Epaminondas Mastorakos. His research interests are two-phase flow and turbulent reacting flows, and his PhD work focuses on fundamentals of ignition of spray flows and low-order modeling of ignition of aviation gas turbines. Practical applications of his research in the aerospace industry include use of alternative and renewable fuels, laser ignition, and development of tools for ignition prediction.
Pedro holds an MSc and an Engineering Degree in Mechanical Engineering (Federal University of Santa Catarina), and conducted research on single-droplet combustion at the Technical University of Munich. His master's research on two-phase flows in pipes received the national award for the best master's thesis by the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering.
- P.M. de Oliveira, P.M. Allison, E. Mastorakos. Ignition of uniform droplet-laden weakly turbulent flows following a laser spark, Combust. Flame. 199 (2019) 387-400.
- P.M. Allison, P.M. de Oliveira, A. Giusti, E. Mastorakos. Pre-Chamber Ignition Mechanism: Experiments and Simulations on turbulent Jet Flame Structure, Fuel. 230 (2018) 274-281.
- E. Mastorakos, P. Allison, A. Giusti, P. de Oliveira, S. Benekos, Y. Wright, C. Frouzakis, K. Boulouchos, Fundamental Aspects of Jet Ignition for Natural Gas Engines, SAE Int. J. Engines. 10 (2017) 2429–2438.
- C.A.S. Costa, P.M. de Oliveira, J.R. Barbosa, Intermittent Flow Initiation in a Horizontal Tube: Quantitative Visualization and CFD Analysis, J. Braz. Soc. Mech. Sci. Eng. (2018) 40:188.
- P.M. de Oliveira, E. Strle, J.R. Barbosa, Developing air–water flow downstream of a vertical 180° return bend, Int. J. Multiphase Flow. 67 (2014) 32–41.
- P.M. de Oliveira, J.R. Barbosa, Pressure drop and gas holdup in air–water flow in 180° return bends, Int. J. Multiphase Flow. 61 (2014) 83–93.