Academic Division: Energy, Fluid Mechanics and Turbomachinery
Research group: Fluid Mechanics
Telephone: +44 1223 7 62437
- Shock-Wave/Boundary-Layer Interactions
- Thermo-Acoustic Instabilities
- Jet Engines
- T. Makuni, H. Kalsi, P. Tucker and H. Babinsky, "Transitional Shock-Wave/Boundary-Layer Interactions in Intakes at Incidence", in "Advances in Simulation of Wing and Nacelle Stall: Results of the Closing Symposium of the DFG Research Unit FOR 1066", December 1-2, 2014, Braunschweig, Germany, ISBN 978-3-319-21127-5.
- T. Makuni, H. Babinsky, M. Slaby and C. Sheaf, "Experimental Investigations of Shock-Wave/Boundary-Layer Interactions in Transonic Aircraft Engine Intakes at High Incidence", American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA 2015-0067, SciTech Forum, Kissimmee FL, USA, January 2015.
- Undergraduate Teaching: 2nd Year Mathematics for Magdalene and Murray Edwards College; Oct 2012 - Mar 2015.
- Undergraduate Teaching: 3rd Year Compressible Fluid Mechanics for the Engineering Department; Oct 2012 - Dec 2015.
- Undergraduate Demonstrating: 3rd Year Compressible Fluid Mechanics; Oct 2012 - Mar 2015.
- Engineering Summer Schools: Cambridge University Engineering Department, CUED; Jun/Jul 2013, 2014.
- Engineering Summer Schools: Oxbridge Academic Programs, The Cambridge Prep Experience; Jul 2015.
- Engineering Summer Schools: CamExpress (Shanghai), Engineering Workshops; Jun 2011 - Aug 2011.
- University of Cambridge: Ph.D., Jet Engine Intakes funded by Rolls-Royce and EPSRC; Sep 2012 - Present.
- University of Cambridge: M.A. (cantab), Aerospace and Aerothermal Engineering; Oct 2008 - Mar 2015.
- University of Cambridge: M.Eng., Aerospace and Aerothermal Engineering, Distinction; Oct 2008 - Jun 2012.
- Sydney Russell School: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry - AAA; Sep 2006 - Jul 2008.
- Sydney Russell School: Further Mathematics and French - BE; Jan 2007 - Jul 2008.
- Sydney Russell School: 10 G.C.S.E.'s, including 5 A* grades; Sep 2004 - Jul 2008.
- Amelia Earhart Fellowship, Zonta International; Sep 2015 - Aug 2016.
- Andrew Thompson Travel Bursary, Magdalene College (University of Cambridge); Feb 2014.
- Elizabeth Acton Scholar, Murray Edwards College (University of Cambridge); Jul 2012.
- Leadership Standard Award, Royal Academy of Engineering (RaE); Dec 2010.
- Undergraduate Affiliate, Advanced Structures Group (University of Cambridge); Jun 2010.
- CHOICE Mathematics Student, London School Economics (LSE); Sep 2007 - Mar 2008.
Tafara is a fourth year PhD Aerodynamics student studying Jet Engine Intakes at High Incidence (funded by Rolls-Royce and EPSRC). For as long as she can remember, Tafara has been fascinated by aeroplanes and flying, which lead her to study Aerospace and Aerothermal Engineering. Maturing into a young adult, this passion still exists, and her primary goal is to stay within aviation. In addition, Tafara recognises that aviation is inspiring to many different people, for many different reasons. Meaning that aviation (directly or indirectly) can be used as a tool for many charitable efforts - this is her second professional goal.
Department role and responsibilities
- The Cambridge Engineer (TCE), Magazine Co-editor; Mar 2014 - Mar 2015.
- Cambridge University Engineering Society (CUES), Rolling Grants Scheme Panel Judge; Feb 2014 - Mar 2015.
- Cambridge University Engineering Department (CUED), Student-Staff Joint Committee (SSJC), Graduate Representative; Jan 2014 - Mar 2015.
- Cambridge University Engineering Society (CUES), Publicity Officer; Mar 2011 - Apr 2012.
- University of Cambridge Formula Student Team (FBR), Marketing Director; Oct 2009 - Jun 2012.