University Senior Lecturer
Academic Division: Manufacturing and Management
Research group: Manufacturing Systems
Telephone: +44 1223 3 38180
Current research interests include:
- Manufacturing Capabilities and International Performance
- Competitive and Sustainable Manufacturing in the Food Industry
- Education for Manufacturing
In addition, Tom is working to set up a research group, MIERG - Manufacturing Industry Education Research Group in the broad area of education for industry. The Group is developing projects in the areas of.
- Transfer of Knowledge and skills
- Education policy challenges arising from industrial globalisation
- Impact and assessment of of education and training
- Competences required by manufacturing professionals
- Effect of cultural context on manufacturing education
- Personal development of the manufacturing professional
- The relationship between education and training profile and different industrial roles
As well as teaching on ISMM Tom worked with UTT, a new University in Trinidad, to set up a similar course there named Industrial Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Manufacturing Management. In addition, as Director of External Education for the IfM he has been developing a range of courses for industry that build upon the Institute’s long tradition of practice based education.
Tom Ridgman worked in the automotive industry for 20 years mainly in Leyland Trucks with a variety of roles in new product development, manufacturing strategy and manufacturing operations. After leaving Leyland he ran a research programme into leadtime reduction at Warwick University before coming to Cambridge in 1995.
At the IfM he was Course Director for the Advanced Course in Design, Manufacture and Management (ACDMM) and for the successor the MPhil in Industrial Systems, Manufacture and Management (ISMM). He has a keen interest in investigating and promoting industrial and academic collaboration and was instrumental in setting up IfM Education and Consultancy Services.
He is an active volunteer with the Institution of Engineering and Technology and Chaired the Registration and Standards Committee for 5 years which oversees University accreditation and registration for Chartered and Incorporated Engineers and Engineering Technicians. He is on the Board of Trustees of the Engineering Council, Chairs the Quality Assurance Committee and is an ex-officio member of the Registration and Standards Committee and the International Advisory Panel.