Faculty Board Regulations for Industrial Experience
Industrial Experience Requirement for Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering Tripos.
To obtain honours in Part IB of the Engineering Tripos, a candidate must satisfy the examiners that he or she has such workshop or equivalent experience as shall be determined by the Faculty Board of Engineering, and to obtain honours in Part IIA of the Engineering Tripos or Part I in the Manufacturing Engineering Tripos a candidate must satisfy the Examiners that he or she has such industrial or equivalent experience as shall be determined by the Faculty Board.
The Faculty Board have approved the following requirements
• Engineering Tripos Part IB
Four weeks of relevant industrial experience.
• Engineering Tripos Part IIA, Manufacturing Engineering Tripos Part IIA
Four additional weeks of relevant industrial experience or, for a student who has not been a candidate for Part IB of the Engineering Tripos, four weeks of relevant industrial experience.
Relevant industrial experience is defined as any work of an engineering nature involving other people in an engineering environment, except where the work is only computer programming of a routine nature. It may involve design, development, manufacturing, construction or research work, provided that this includes interaction with the work of others on an engineering subject.
- Practical training in the use of tools in an engineering training workshop will be acceptable for one period of four weeks of relevant industrial experience whether for Part IB or for the Engineering Tripos Part IIA, or Manufacturing Engineering Tripos Part IIA but not for both the required periods.
- Computer programming of a routine nature means programming which uses only standard spreadsheets or other similar standard software. The development of new programs for engineering analysis is not considered to be routine programming.
- Any dispute concerning the interpretation of these requirements will be determined by appeal to the Head of the Department of Engineering whose decision will be final.
Confirmation is required from an authorised officer of the company or institution from whom the industrial experience has been obtained. This should preferably be in the form of a signed up logbook. This written confirmation of the work should be presented by the candidate to Mr Igor Wowk, the Industrial Experience Coordinator, who can also supply pro-forma logbooks. Mr Wowk has an office on the second floor of the Baker Building, Room BC3-07. He may be contacted on 01223 332778 for an appointment and he holds a comprehensive database of suitable companies which may be accessed at any time in working hours. He is also available via email.