University Senior Lecturer
Academic Division: Manufacturing and Management
Research group: Manufacturing Systems
Telephone: +44 1223 7 65606
Ajith leads research activities on engineering asset management and maintenance engineering. His particular focus is examining how asset information can be used to improve asset performance through effective decision-making. Other research areas include: decision-making under uncertainty, value of information, and information quality management.
Energy, transport and urban infrastructure
Maintenance of urban infrastructure.
Uncertainty, risk and resilience
Maintenance and through life management of physical assets, particularly risk and value.
- Information management strategies (£), funded by IMRC
- IQAM Information quality asset management (£334,240), funded by EPSRC (11/09 – 09/12)
- Maintenance of Complex Engineering Systems (2011-12, £25,498) – Funded by the EPSRC Centre for Through-Life Engineering Services
- Information Quality Risk Assessment Tool (2011-12, £29,200) – Funded by the EPSRC KT-BOX Grant
- Fault-diagnostics process and fault-data management for locomotive systems (£216,594), funded by Hitachi Europe Ltd, (09/12 – 09/14)
- Whole-Life Infrastructure Asset Management (2012-14, £422,956) – Funded by the EPSRC Innovative Knowledge Centre for Smart Infrastructure and Construction Tranche 1
- Cambridge University lecturer (01/07 - 09/13)
- Senior Lecturer (10/13 – present)
- Deputy Director of the Distributed Information and Automation Laboratory
- Fellow and Tutor, Hughes Hall
- College Lecturer, Newnham College
- Director of Studies in Manufacturing Engineering, Newnham College
- Editor, International Journal of Information Quality
- Member of Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- Member of Institute of Asset Management (IAM)
- Member of Cambridge Service Alliance
- Co-investigator in the Centre for Smart Infrastructure and Construction (funded by EPSRC, TSB and industry)
Dr Ajith Kumar Parlikad is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Cambridge. Ajith leads research activities on engineering asset management and maintenance. His particular focus is examining how asset information can be used to improve asset performance through effective decision-making. Ajith is an editor of the International Journal of Information Quality and has published over 60 papers in reputed academic journals and conferences. He actively engages with industry through research and consulting projects. He is a member of The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) Technical Professional Network Committee on Asset Management and sits on the judging panel for the IET/IAM Awards in Asset Management. He is also a member of the IFAC Working Group on "Advanced Maintenance Engineering, Services and Technology".
Ajith joined the University of Cambridge to read for his PhD degree, which he successfully completed in August 2006. For his PhD, he developed a methodology for quantifying the benefits of improving product information availability and quality on the effectiveness of product recovery processes.