Academic Division: Manufacturing and Management
Research group: Production Processes
Dr Barlow's research interests include:
- inter-relationships between processing parameters, mechanical properties and material microstructures
- eco-efficient manufacturing
- sustainable materials usage
- material and product end-of-life aspects: re-use and recycling
- value from waste
- materials aspects relating to musical instruments
Energy, transport and urban infrastructure
Waste management in urban environments.
- President, Cambridge Philosophical Society
- Fellow Emerita, Newnham College
Claire Barlow specialises in sustainability and materials engineering. Research work has covered a wide range of materials and processes, with a particular interest in the inter-relationships between processing parameters, mechanical properties and material microstructures. The focus is now on end-of-life materials, looking at how to assess the environmental impact of materials usage, and how to improve recycling and re-use, especially of plastics. She is involved in research on technical and organisational aspects of sustainability in manufacturing industry.
Department role and responsibilities
Former Deputy Head of Department (Teaching); Head of Department (2018)