Director of Undergraduate Education
Academic Division: Mechanics, Materials and Design
Research group: Materials Engineering
Telephone: +44 1223 3 31693
Dr Durrell's research interests centre around the structure and properties of the Flux Line Lattice in superconductors. Consequently his research interests and publications span from experimental condensed matter physics to the commercialisation of practical superconducting materials. Since joining the Engineering Department Dr Durrell's interests in technical materials have grown to include the applications of superconducting bulks. As an EPSRC research fellow Dr Durrell's primary area of research was directed towards understanding the effects of pinning enhancing additions and grain boundaries in practical "coated conductor" superconducting wires.
- Part III (4th Year): Superconducting and Magnetic Materials in Materials Science and Metallurgy (Lent 2014)
- 4C3 Bulk Electrical Materials in the Department of Engineering (Mich 2013)
- MPhil in Nanotechnology Enterprise/NanoDTC Core Course: Nanofabrication Techniques
- Part 1B (2nd year): Head of Class for the Artefact Project in Materials Science and Metallurgy
Since October 2010, John Durrell has been a Senior Research Associate in the Bulk Superconductivity Group, part of the Mechanics, Materials and Design Division. He is also a Fellow and Assistant Director of Studies for 1A Engineering at Pembroke College.
Previously, John has held research positions at the University of Linz and the University of Cambridge. Most recently, he held an EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship in the Device Materials Group of the Materials Science Department. He was, until Summer 2013, Director of Studies in Natural Sciences (Physical), a Fellow and a Tutor at Hughes Hall.
Awards and Prizes
- Awarded the 2012 IOP Superconductivity Group Prize. (Citation)
- Elected to a Research Fellowship at Hughes Hsll (2006)
- Awarded an EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship (2005)
National and International Offices
- Fast Track Communications Editor for Superconductor Science and Technology (2014-)
- Member of the Executive Board of the journal Superconductor Science and Technology (2012-)
- Board member of the European Society for Applied Superconductivity (2011-)
- Member of the Program Committee for the Applied Superconductivity Conference (2010)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the journal Superconductor Science and Technology (2008-2011)
- Secretary of the Institute of Physics Superconductivity Group (2008-2011)
- Committee member of the Institute of Physics Superconductivity Group (2006-2011)