Professor of Laser Engineering
Academic Division: Manufacturing and Management
Research group: Production Processes
Telephone: +44 1223 7 64834
Bill is a Professor of Laser Engineering within the Cambridge University Engineering Department and Director of the Centre of Industrial Photonics. He has written over 170 research publications and scientific papers on the subject of laser-matter interactions, optical engineering, laser based manufacturing technologies, and micro/nano fabrication techniques.
His research interests include:
- Flexible and reconfigurable production technologies.
- Laser beam monitoring and control
- Ultrafast laser matter interactions
- Macro and micro laser cutting
- Additive manufacturing technologies
- High velocity particulate impacts
- Nanoscale fabrication technologies
- Sensor systems
Energy, transport and urban infrastructure
Rare earth magnet production technologies; high and wide efficiency drives for electric vehicles; laser pyrolysis for hydrocarbon extraction.
EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Ultra Precision, EC FP7 funded HIWI Project, EPSRC Centre for Innovative EPSRC CIM in Manufacturing in Laser-based Production Processes, EPSRC CDT in Ultra Precision
- Manufacturing Engineering Tripos (MET)
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Ultra Precision
- Director of Studies in Engineering, Downing College
- Director and Co-Founder Advanced Laser Solutions
- Director and Co-Founder Laser Fusion Technologies
- EPSRC Electoral College
- EPSRC Strategic Advisory Team Member for Manufacturing
- Director Laser Institute of America
Bill is a Professor of Laser Engineering within the Cambridge University Engineering Department and Director of the Centre of Industrial Photonics. He has researched and published widely on the subjects of laser-matter interactions, optical engineering, high power laser based manufacturing technologies, and micro/nano fabrication techniques. He is a Fellow of the Laser Institute of America and the Institute of Physics.