Welcome to the Department of Engineering Language Unit
The Language Programme for engineers was first introduced in October 1993. The Language Unit offer courses in Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish at all levels (beginner, intermediate, and advanced). English is also offered to non-native PhD and Post Doc students.
Foreign language courses are open to all engineers and participation is completely voluntary. The programme is offered in the 3rd year as a project (e.g. The Channel Tunnel, Airbus) and in the 4th year as a Module. Students are strongly advised to follow the Language Programme prior to choosing languages as a project in Year 3 or a module in Year 4. In addition to Engineering, students from the following departments may also register for the language course.
- Materials Science (3rd/4th year undergraduates)
- Chemistry (3rd year undergraduates)
- Chemical Engineering (4th Year undergraduates)
- Computer Laboratory (postgraduates)
The Language Programme aims to:
- make students better equipped for learning languages for life
- encourage students to take more responsibility for their own learning
- make students more aware of the culture of the language studied
- Run for 15 weeks spread during Michaelmas and Lent terms.
- One 2-hour lesson per week with recommendation of 2 hours private study per week.
- Exams at the end of the Lent term.
- Certificate at end of course with grade achieved.
- 2nd Year Engineering undergraduates can use their Language exam for paper 8.
To borrow available language materials, please check our Catalogue.
Project and Module Courses