Help us to show off the varied world of engineering by entering your photos and videos into our annual Photography Competition, sponsored by ZEISS (Scanning electron microscopy division).
The competition is open to all staff and students in the Department and ZEISS has kindly donated the following prizes:
There is also a Head of Department cash prize of £300.
To be in with a chance of winning, make sure you send us your eye-catching images and videos that relate to research or teaching in the Department or even from work out in the field. If you’ve captured something beautiful, fascinating, intriguing, amusing, or possibly all of these things, we want to see it.
The winning photographs will feature on the Department and University websites, newsletter, electronic screens, posters, social media and more.
Previous years' winners have received national and international press coverage for their photographs and videos. For inspiration, the above featured image, Graphene – IPA Ink, which won our 2016 competition, has also won first prize in the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) photo competition 2017. This image, taken by James Macleod, Cambridge Graphene Centre Process Technician, shows graphene being processed in alcohol to produce conductive ink.
A very high proportion of the entries will be used in a web gallery and throughout the Department website giving acknowledgements wherever they are used.
The panel of judges include: Roberto Cipolla, Professor of Information Engineering, Dr Allan McRobie, Reader in Engineering, Head of Department Professor David Cardwell and Director of Research Philip Guildford.
The rules are as follows:
- The deadline for entries is Friday July 7 2017
- Photographs must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Video can be sent using a free, large, file transfer service such as Dropbox, or sent on a CD to Jacqueline Saggers, Room BE0-23, Baker Building, Trumpington Street
- The entrant must include the following statement in the text of the email: I have checked with my manager/supervisor/DoS __________________ that I have permission to enter the attached photograph(s) in the competition and give the Department of Engineering the right to publish the photograph(s) on its website and elsewhere.
The entrant must also provide:
- A title
- Description of the photograph, noting whether the photograph is a composite of several images or has been enhanced in any way
- Any due acknowledgements.
The following guidelines should be followed:
Ideally the photograph should be of good print quality, but if it is available only as a web quality image then please still enter.
Make no assumptions about the photograph we are seeking, because the winning photograph could be of a: microscopic feature, laboratory, project team, computer simulation, production line, robot, lecture theatre, engineers out in the field etc.
There is no limit to the number of photographs that you may enter. If you are not certain whether your photograph will win or you are trying to choose between several possible entries, then please just enter them all and let the judges decide.
You may wish to send one photo attachment per email as the message size limit for Hermes is 35MB.